Self Portrait in coloured pencil

Friday 20 April 2018

Girl in Profile


Girl in Profile

I have been enjoying painting this portrait of a girl in profile in oil on canvas. She has a very elegant nose. 
I have a bit of a thing about noses. Blame my mother for that. She had a slender Roman nose and she was proud of it. She would tilt her head and show it off, saying she was glad she didn’t have a snub nose. In case you are wondering, I have a cross between her nose and my father’s and I am very happy with it.
I took a lot of reference photos of the girl, but I had to reject all the full face ones because she had her eyes screwed up against the sun. 
I have finished the girl’s face, and last time I worked on the portrait I started her clothes. I would have liked to paint her hair, but I have to wait for paint to dry because I will need to rest my hand on her face and I don’t want to smudge it. Obviously. That is why I only painted the left side of her jacket. I don’t want a red hand when it is time to work on her portrait again.
I still have to finish her neck and paint her hand, which is resting on the back of a chair. They will wait until after I have finished her hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You will need to Preview before it will Publish