Self Portrait in coloured pencil

Sunday 22 May 2016

Horse Communication Drawing update

 
 

Horse Communication Drawing update 

I was not happy with the composition of the pen and ink drawing of the man and his horse. There was a nasty empty area by Sheila's shoulder. So I went searching for something to support her so she didn't look as if she was about to fall off the right hand side of the drawing. 
There wasn't much space to fill but I found a small tree from one of the other photos of Sheila. 
I didn't want to add colour in that area. That would not have improved the composition at all. As I had drawn the horse and man on graphic film, I drew the tree on the reverse using a 2B technical pencil. Then I softened it with a cotton bud. 
Soft pencil slithers nicely on graphic film with a little help. I avoid touching graphic film with my hand as any moisture marks it with a white spot. I lay sheets of paper, preferably blotting paper, wherever I may need to rest my hand. 
Finally, on the right side I emphasised the edge of Sheila's neck and shoulder against the tree using pen and ink.
I am happy with it now. I felt this double portrait was worth my best efforts. It would be a lovely depiction of the trust Sheila has for the man, if I could do it justice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You will need to Preview before it will Publish